The Ultimate Vegan Hot Chocolate
When my husband and I first made the decision to go vegan, back in January of 2015, we lived in Pocatello, ID. The gloomiest, windiest, boring-est place in the continental United States (probably... I guess I'm not an expert but it wasn't a fun place).
So naturally the first thing our newly vegan souls needed was some quality hot chocolate!
After trying a couple pre-made vegan hot chocolates, I gave up- they just didn't hit the spot and I hated knowing there were so many horrible ingredients in them... Shortly after giving up on commercial products to feed my cocoa-fix, I came up with this ultimate, amazing af, vegan hot chocolate recipe. Now I'm going to share it with you. It's been approved by friends and family time and time again, nobody even knows it's vegan- it's just rich and thick and amazing. Get ready for winter paradise.
Here's what you'll need:
Pure cocoa powder (about 1/2 tbsp per cup of cocoa you want to make)
Milk of some sort (I prefer vanilla coconut milk, but any sort of milk will work)
Cinnamon sticks (one per cup)
1tbsp of sugar per serving (I used coconut sugar)
Here's what you do, it's pretty simple.
1. Heat your milk on low. It doesn't necessarily need to boil, just get it hot. You don't want to burn the milk!
2. Add in the cocoa powder. It will try to float on top but just stir it with a fork until you are victorious. Remember, you're a boss and cocoa powder does what you tell it to!*wink*
3. Add in the sugar. If you use coconut sugar, make sure you stir it plenty so it dissolves. It doesn't dissolve as easily as white cane sugar, but it's totally worth the extra effort.
4. Grate some of that cinnamon stick into the cocoa. I swear this is the best part. Make it as strong as you like.
5. Have a little taste- add more sugar, cocoa powder, or cinnamon to make it absolutely perfect.
6. Pour it into a cup and put the rest of that cinnamon stick (whole) into the cup. Isn't that fancy?
If you really love yourself, make sure to pick up some vegan whipped cream, pile it on your cup of cocoa, and top it with a little more cinnamon. Perfection.
Pro tip: Make it peppermint by replacing the cinnamon with a vegan candy cane.
Try it out and tell me what you think in the comments below. This is my favorite thing ever and I love that it doesn't require any unusual ingredients that aren't already in my kitchen. Impulsively made cocoa is the best cocoa, am I right?